Little Ryburgh Bridge

 

 

Langor Bridge

 

 

Today it is very possible to drive through or past Little Ryburgh and miss it, yet in the past, though never having a huge population, it was of more importance than its present day image would suggest. This is one of several proposed pages on the village of Little Ryburgh and relates to a part of the parish that was at times as tied to Kettlestone as Great Ryburgh. I refer to the portion that straddles the main road from Fakenham to Norwich, named after a now almost invisible feature, Langor Bridge.

The name, seen on a late C17th field map identified Langwade Bidge at this point and which by 1831,  in a publication of Picturesque Views of Norfolk Bridges, was called Little Ryburgh Bridge

 

 

 

 

 

Reproduced here is the version as printed in the above publication:

 

 

As is often the case, a plain print like this would be hand coloured and seen in versions like this, recently purchased:

 

 

 

The bridge spanned a drain that eventual joined the Wensum and formed a natural boundary to the village, winding its way downstream to the bridge at Great Ryburgh, which though an ancient crossing of the river at the time of this publication, was  possibly not of sufficient architectural or aesthetic interest to warrant inclusion in this collection.

Extraordinarily, we have photographic corroboration of this structure from August 12th 1912 when a catastrophic flood washed much of the bridge away:

 

 

 

The flood waters have neatly demolished the near headwall and almost the entire arch that carried the Fakenham Norwich Road. 

Today most people are completely unaware as they drive to and from Norwich that they still cross a watercourse which runs alongside the workshop buildings of Langor Bridge Service Station. It is thanks to the Fakenham Archive, we still have a view of the comparative tranquility that once prevailed in this part of the village:

 

 

 

November 2021


Page last updated: 24th November 2021 2:01 PM