St. Andrew’s stands at the entrance to the Norfolk village of Great Ryburgh, close to the bridge over the River Wensum. This round tower church with Saxon origins is a distinctive feature of a village that is essentially a working community with a maltings, some light industry and a shop that has been retained as a community venture.
The cruciform design of the church building is unusual, each arm of the cross being almost equal in length.The reordering of the Chancel in 1912 by Sir Ninian Comper gives the building a wonderful feeling of space and light as well as a flexibility of use which the parish uses to full advantage for its services, community events and concerts.
St. Andrew's, Great Ryburgh is part of the Upper Wensum Benefice. The Revd. Robin Stapleford looks after seven parishes with the help of a number of retired clergy who give generously of their time. Currently he is also looking after a neighbouring benefice.
Visitors are welcome every day of the week.
EVENTS THIS MONTH
CHRISTMAS MARKET and BOOK SALE: Saturday, 2nd December 9.30 – 12 noon
St. Andrew’s Pantry open for coffee and seasonal fare.
THE LAST WW1 PEAL: Sunday, 3rd December 2 - 5 p.m.
Rung in memory of William David Howard (1899 - 1923) and all who died of their wounds after the war had ended and are not named on our war memorials.
CONCERT - “FESTIVE MUSICAL DELIGHTS”: Saturday, 9th December 3 p.m.
Performed by The Mirliton Flutes and followed by Afternoon Tea.
Free entry. Retiring Collection for Church Funds.
CHRISTMAS OPEN FOR TEA: Friday, 15th December 2.30 – 4 p.m.
All welcome! Join us for carols and tea & cake.
CHRISTMAS WINE TASTING:Saturday, 16th December
Tickets are required for this event.
Our church building has been here for over 1,000 years and we try to ensure it is a welcoming and inspiring place for worshippers, local residents, visitors and pilgrims.
The William Martin Building with its much needed handwashing and hospitality facilities is fully in use. We wonder how we ever managed without it! We are so grateful to those who built it and to those who donated materials, labour and funds. The Jubilee Window was returned to the church in time for it to be blessed and dedicated on Remembrance Sunday. Thanks go to the many who donated to the Restoration Fund and also to The Round Tower Churches Society, The Norfolk Churches Trust, The Benefact Trust and Crispmalt. Thanks to Peter, the porch roof has now been repaired and the interior cleaned and refurbished to great effect.
JOINTING AND REPOINTING 23: The current project is the repointing of the north and west nave walls, together with repairs to the east and south walls at ground level where the walls meet the perimeter channel. Any donations would be very helpful to ensure we can complete the project on time. Not a glamorous task but a very necessary one to avoid costly bills in the future!
Pilgrims walking the Walsingham Way are very welcome.
We can offer a place to camp, kitchen and W.C. as well as basic shelter if the weather is bad. You can contact the churchwarden on 01328 829413.
As war returns to Europe, let us not forget the lessons of the past. Read about William David Howard who represents all the people who as a direct result of the War suffered and died post conflict.He is our 46th name on the revised Roll of Honour for Great and Little Ryburgh and Testerton.