The title of St. Andrew's WW1 Heritage Lottery Fund project comes from the words inscribed on the south side of the decorative wooden memorial screen in St. Thomas's Chapel.
Between June 2014 and June 2016 the St. Andrew's Partnership will do the following with the help of the grant:
- clean and conserve the screen. This is a specialist job!
- research the soldiers whose names are inscribed on the screen and also their families.
- gather memories and memorabilia from local residents to find out more about wartime life at home.
- gather the information and make it available to the public through the website and displays.
- collect detailed information in folders.
- create an I-spy type game for children to help them look at the screen with greater interest.
- investigate WW1 food and serve it in St. Andrew's Pantry during Open Churches Week.
- recreate some of the WW1 silk embroidered cards that are on display in the church.
- research WW1 song and put on a performance in August with a WW1 style meal.
- mark the anniversary of each soldier who died by ringing the bells half muffled.
Please let us know if you would like to take part or contribute to any of these activities. We need you!