The Rector's cards come back to Ryburgh

 

This card was addressed to a local gentleman in Scawby, Lincolnshire, 

Guy Percival Tyrwhitt-Drake Esq. by  Revd. F H Tatham .

 

 

It is not possible to read the postmark but it must have been sent soon after

Easter 1910 after F.H.T. & his family moved from Scawby to take up his post

here. It was published by S.T.Stangroom, “Cash Supply Stores” Whissonsett

and Mileham and pictures St Andrew’s Church looking north from Mill Road

between the two Rectory entrances.The message however was written by

the Tatham’s younger daughter, Betty.

 

 

 

It reads as follows:

 

Dear Mr Drake Here is my

promised postcard, don’t

you think this prettier

than Scawby. How does

Francis like school ?

from Betty.

The Tyrwhitt-Drakes apparently trace their ancestry back to Sir Francis Drake

and Guy Percival, 1859-1928, is described on various official forms as

Gentleman, Farmer and Land Agent. The household staff in 1911 consisted

of Nurse, Cook, Kitchen Maid, House Maid, Lady’s Maid and Butler.

They had 3 children, the youngest of whom was Francis John (1902-1996)

born in Scawby and a year older than Betty.

 

Betty was the younger daughter of the family,  baptised Betha Wenefrid Tatham

(1903-1999) .She married Herbert Ivo Trentham Beardsworth at St Andrew's

on November 7th 1928.

 

The following was published in the Fakenham & Dereham Times 2 days later:

 

Wedding at Ryburgh. Beardsworth--Tatham.

Of great interest to Ryburgh and district was the wedding at St. Andrew's Church,

Great Ryburgh, on Wednesday, when the bride was Miss Betha Wenefrid Tatham,

younger daughter of the Rev. F. H. and Mrs. Tatham, and the bridegroom

Flight-Lieut. Herbert Ivo Trentham Beardsworth, eldest son of Mrs. Beardsworth

and the late Mr. H. A. Beardsworth, of Muswell Hill. The bridegroom saw service

in Mesopotamia during the war with the Air Force, and also in France and Russia,

and after the war in Iraq. The Rev. F. H. Tatham, father of the bride, performed

the marriage service, assisted by the Rev. W. D. Boycott, Rector of Upton, who

gave the address. The service was fully choral, the organist being Mrs. J. A. Shaw,

of Foulsham, and formerly organist at Ryburgh Church for ten years, until her

marriage about a month ago. On the bride's arrival in the Church the hymn

"O Perfect Love," to a special tune; Psalm lxvii, to a chant by Tallis,

from Beethoven; before the address "O Holy Spirit, Lord of Grace," and while

the registers were signed "Now thank we all our God" were sung. As the

bridal party left the Church, Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" was played.

The bride was attired in a dress of white georgette, with diamante trimming.

Her veil of old Limerick lace, which belonged to her grandmother, was worn

by the bride's mother, Mrs. F. H. Tatham, on the train of her own wedding

dress. The bride was given away by her mother, her brothers being all

abroad. She wore a pendant designed by her father. The bridesmaids

were Miss D. M. H. Tatham, sister of the bride, and Miss M. Beardsworth,

second sister of the bridegroom. They wore sunrise Celanese taffeta

dresses, broad pan hats, and bronze shoes. They carried bouquets of

tawny chrysanthemums, and tinted leaves. The bride carried a bouquet

of Duchess of York and Emma Wright rosebuds, and white heather.

The best man was Flight-Lieut. Burton, R.A.F. A reception was held in the

Rectory Barn, and later the bride and bridegroom left for the honeymoon,

on a motor car. The bride's travelling dress was a dark blue coat and skirt,

felt hat, and wolf fur. The Church was decorated by Mrs. H. J. Smith,

Mill House, Great Ryburgh.

[Fakenham & Dereham Times, 09 Nov 1928]

 

                                            **************

 

 

The card below is self explanatory and was sent on  December 23rd

1910 and comes from a new series in circulation that year:

 


Page last updated: 5th May 2020 8:26 PM